Re: Diversity considerations

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 12:44:16PM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> Nico is right in saying we don't choose who decides to participate. But we
> do influence that choice.
>
> In particular, we can decide which communities to approach to invite
> participation from and we can encourage or discourage people who come to
> participate. We are not the passive captives of fate that some folk seem to
> suggest.

I made this point too.  Right now we don't advertise to get
participants.  People end up having a reason to participate, and
then they do (maybe; sometimes they have a reason and then don't).

> I first started participating in IETF 25 years ago but I have not
> participated here continuously. One of the reasons for that was that I did
> not find IETF an inviting place to work. Folk would proclaim with great
> certitude 'facts' about the nature of URLs and explain how it was necessary
> to 'fix' the 'broken' architecture of the Web.

That's to be expected.  We're going to have opinionated people.  That's
not really a problem.

The biggest problem here is how slow everything is.  That's because
we're volunteers and we're not fully funded to do things like review
other people's I-Ds.  People who want to create would prefer to write
code and screw standardization at IETF.

> Finally, unless you happen to be Dave Clark or Vint Cerf and you happen to
> be designing a packet switching protocol to support a WAN of 10-1000 nodes
> using 1970s technology, attempting to emulate their mode of work is
> irrelevant. We are not re-designing IP. We are trying to manage the social
> and technical consequences of the network scaling to ~10 billion users and
> ~1 trillion nodes in the coming decade.

We don't work the same way that they did, and we're not trying to
emulate them.

However, it's hard to make a volunteer organization work on a basis
other than consensus seeking, if that's what you mean.

Nico