Re: New Non-WG Mailing List: CACAO

Full disclosure: I approved this list, so feel free to be unhappy at me.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 7:55 PM, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hiya,

On 13/09/18 03:37, Barry Leiba wrote:
> This really should have come with a fuller description: I shouldn't
> have to contact the list admins just to find out whether a new mailing
> list ought to be on my radar or not.

Yeah. And the archive's empty. And it uses the almost
always meaningless prefix "cyber" over and over in
many predictable (but meaningless) ways.

Well, the archive is empty because it was created today, so I don't think that's much of a critique.

So that's all bad signs IMO then (except for the
existence of the draft.)

I'm also a bit sad that we've gotten to the point
where we're setting up lists driven to any extent
by what's really an ill-defined marketing buzzword.

OTOH, the goal according to [1] is an information
model, so it could be mostly to totally harmless I
guess;-)

Only other thing to note is that this happens so
often (new list for who knows what) that maybe the
tooling's a bit wrong and encourages folks to ok
or ask for lists without considering that others
don't have the same (or any) context.

I think you and I are just going to have to disagree here. Lists are cheap -- they're not WGs -- and I bias in favor of facilitating discussion.. I think this is appropriate especially in view of the fact that one of the first questions we ask for a proposed BOF is whether there has been a lot of list traffic. Again, you're free to feel differently.

-Ekr

Cheers,
S.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jordan-cacao-introduction-00