Re: [103all] Visas for IETF 103 in Thailand

Clint Chaplin <clint.chaplin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Instead of " I am attending an IETF meeting at the Fairmont Hotel in
    > Montreal", I say " I am attending an IETF conference at the Fairmont
    > Hotel in Montreal"

    > "Meeting" can imply business meeting, which is close to work.
    > "Conference" does not have the same implication. I once had to spend
    > five minutes explaining to Canada Immigration what kind of "meeting" I
    > was attending.

I disagree: stick to meeting, even if you have to spend five minutes
explaining what the IETF is.  The reason that they ask you this is to find
out if you have a clue about what you are talking about, or if it's a fib.

Don't be afraid to go into the most minute detail of how the protocols work,
because what they really care about, is are you really an engineer?

Conferences engages and pays speakers.
Are you speaking at the IETF?   Oh, you are. (Because, we *all* are)
You have a document?  And presenting the document is part of your work? Oops.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [