Re: AD Time

On 7/25/18 8:19 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> Again, you assume that full-time ADs is a good thing. I do not
> agree that that's a good goal.

I don't, either, with an exclamation mark!

We keep having this same discussion and it keeps being somewhat
unfocused and disorganized, with people proposing solutions
before we've got much clarity about what problems we're trying
to solve.  I think it's worth pointing out (as we always do
when we have this discussion) that we tend to get IESG members
from large companies, because that's whose employers can
afford it.  I think it's pretty clearly the case that not having
enough candidates, not having many candidates from startups,
academia (pace Stephen), or consultancies, and having those
positions turn into extremely time-consuming gigs are all
related.  People whose employers don't object to them spending
massive amounts of time on AD responsibilities are going to
tend to be people who aren't going to have as much reason to
object to those roles growing in scope.

Aside from wouldn't-it-be-nice-to-have-more-candidates, I tend
to think it would be nice to have a greater variety of
candidates, as well, but the current responsibilities and
structure are going to tend to militate against that.

(and yes, there are a lot of unhelpful directorate reviews).

Melinda