Re: AD Time

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 4:56 PM Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 26/07/2018 03:26, Donald Eastlake wrote:
> There is also a problem with directorate reviews of highly variable
> quality. I don't want to name any names but I have seen reviews from
> the X directorate that said absolutely nothing about the X aspects of
> the reviewed draft and merely commented on a couple of things the
> automated nits checker complained about. Such "reviews" are virtually
> a no-op.

Of course, if an AD decided to delegate authority to a review team,
that would require that the AD also trusted the review team to
do its job correctly. At the moment, review teams are *not* formally
on the hook, but if they were to hold real power, they would need
to be explicitly responsible to the community.

As John Klensin implied, it's really up to the IESG. If the IESG wants
to limit its workload, that means giving up some of its power. Something
for the NomCom to consider when evaluating candidates.

Why do you believe that the IESG hasn't limited its workload?
Given that, I believe, the majority of ADs are not essentially full-time, what
changes do you all see as needed?

Much of this conversation feels like a discussion from 6-8 years ago.

Regards,
Alia

    Brian

d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx