AD Time

Hello,

Aaron Falk had asked about AD time and the impacts of less than certain percentages of time to the work load during the plenary open mic session.  Having recently stepped down from the IESG, my experience may shed some light on this question: I do think there are impacts.

I attempted to reduce my time spent as AD to 50% to see if a third term would be possible for me (I could only get funding to be an AD half time), but I felt I was unable to do an adequate job in that amount of time.

Part of this relates to how the load of an area is shared by the ADs. There is not only all of the output of the IETF to review, but the Area's WGs to be managed, AD sponsored documents to handle, and the occasional conflict review. Additionally the ADs often take on other projects while serving as they have visibility across all Areas and a unique vantage point as well as easier access to gather volunteers to assist on projects: this is the Steering in "IESG".

If one AD in an area is part time while the other is full time, it is natural that this load will be shared unevenly. But that balance may constrain how the ADs adjust the time they spend on the job in the future, the scope for appointing new ADs, and the total work done by the IESG.

I think that as AD my time was consumed because I made a point of reading, or at least skimming, all drafts prior to publication looking for security specific issues.  I also felt it was important to keep my queue of items needing attention as short as possible, and tried to turn them around in a reasonable timeframe, keeping in mind that others' work may rely on the quick(ish) processing of documents.  I worked on CodeStand (almost ready for integration with the datatracker) and listened to the operators to assist with the Effects of Pervasive Encryption on Operators draft. I did also have some internal corporate responsibilities, so I didn't spend 100% of my time as an AD, and it would be unrealistic to expect any AD to be completely full time.

I guess this comes down to understanding what are the expectations of ADs, and this is important for NomCom to think about. So long as all the work is done effectively, and so long as the ADs can agree on the balance between each other, all is well. But if important work is left undone or is badly delayed, or if one AD's working time puts additional pressure on other ADs then an adjustment must be made.

--

Best regards,
Kathleen