Re: AD Time

On 7/25/2018 4:28 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> What I am getting at here is that the role is always a paid role; the
> question is whether it's paid by sponsors through the IETF, or whether
> it's paid by corporations to their own employees who are given leave
> to spend most of their time being ADs.

Not just "their own employees". It is not impossible to get a consulting
gig, or a a research contract.

> Anybody we'd want in an AD role would have no trouble getting hired
> after they finished holding the position, and we already know that
> it's pretty typical for ADs who are sponsored by corporations to wind
> up effectively having to start an internal job hunt after their AD
> position has ended because their old position got filled by someone
> else when they didn't have enough time to keep it going.   We've seen
> in several instances recently that the imagined job security of being
> employed by some external corporation while AD isn't all it's cracked
> up to be.

That's the problem with being away from the main business. In many
corporations, bonuses and promotions depend from how much your hierarchy
believes you are contributing to the business. If you are away, you are
going to miss on that somewhat.

But there is a flip side. Apart from helping the Internet, the AD job is
also a big occasion to develop experience and expertise. You will learn
something by reading and reviewing all these drafts, and by managing of
these WG. Your career development might slow down when you are serving
as AD, but it will very likely pick up after that.

Of course there is a flip side to that too. The employer that funds your
participation may be concerned that you will bring this newly acquired
expertise somewhere else. So you will need to build trust somehow...

-- Christian Huitema