Re: fun with protocols, was IETF Mail List Failure

In article <8082.1526663634@localhost> you write:
>> NNTP is actually two separate protocols. ...

>We do have the common IMAP server, ...

>I would probably prefer to use NNTP to access that system, as the good old
>news reader tools still beat most mail readers (for me, who still lives in
>emacs), but they also don't handle HTML email. (Maybe that's a good thing,
>given efail)

Funny you should mention that.  I have a little script that copies
messages on the lists I read from the IETF IMAP server to local
newsgroups to my local NNTP server, which I then read with my
newsreader.  The groups are marked as moderated which means that
"posted" articles are mailed instead, and it sends them to the
appropriate list.  Works great.

Re HTML messages, newsreaders have evolved since you used trn twenty
years ago.  Take a look.  Thunderbird's not bad.

Setting up an IETF NNTP server with all of the lists as newsgroups
wouldn't be very hard, give or take the usual hassles of setting
up a new service and being sure it's someone's job to oversee it.

R's,
John