Re: IETF Mail List Failure

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > But really, aren't all these issues really showing we are trying to use the
    > wrong tool? IETF actually has a protocol that is purpose designed for
    > running mailing lists and obviates the need for DMARC hell - NNTP.

yeah, I hear you, and almost agree.

    > NNTP is actually two separate protocols. There is the server-server
    > replication protocol which was really important when NNTP was designed and
    > is no longer needed and doesn't scale. And then there is the client-server
    > interaction which is actually really useful.

We do have the common IMAP server, and maybe that will become more and more
used.  Certainly if you want to catch up on last night's hiccup, that would
work well.

Is there a way to create a URL (or .something file) that would configure
Thunderbird or LookOut automatically to subscribe to a WG ML via IMAP?
That would help newbies.

I would probably prefer to use NNTP to access that system, as the good old
news reader tools still beat most mail readers (for me, who still lives in
emacs), but they also don't handle HTML email. (Maybe that's a good thing,
given efail)

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [