Re: fun with protocols, was IETF Mail List Failure

So, keeping in mind that as a TSV AD, I've been sitting through the IESG's discussions about what to do with DMARC and IETF mailing lists, but e-mail in general and DMARC in particular is not remotely my area of expertise (all e-mail looks like a bytestream to transport types, as does almost everything else) ...

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 11:09 AM John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In article <8082.1526663634@localhost> you write:
>> NNTP is actually two separate protocols. ...

>We do have the common IMAP server, ...

>I would probably prefer to use NNTP to access that system, as the good old
>news reader tools still beat most mail readers (for me, who still lives in
>emacs), but they also don't handle HTML email. (Maybe that's a good thing,
>given efail)

Funny you should mention that.  I have a little script that copies
messages on the lists I read from the IETF IMAP server to local
newsgroups to my local NNTP server, which I then read with my
newsreader.  The groups are marked as moderated which means that
"posted" articles are mailed instead, and it sends them to the
appropriate list.  Works great.

I am intrigued by this thought, but find myself wondering whether there is any remaining problem with DMARC from e-mailed responses.

I also wonder what threading looks like if an exchange is bouncing back and forth between someone who's using e-mail and someone who's using a newsreader and e-mailing responses (from the point of view of the e-mail user, the newsreader user, and third-party observers).