Re: Proposed Photography Policy

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018, Ted Lemon wrote:

That is certainly _one_ of the goals, but consider your preschool use case. It doesn't matter whether the photo is labeled; the mere fact of the face in the photo is enough, because facial recognition software will be able to use a label obtained elsewhere; the photo from the school will be about who went to school with whom, and who was seen playing with whom, not what that person's name was. And once the photo has been taken, what is done with it is no longer in the control of the school. Just so here.

There is no control. Any illusion that there is control, is just an illusion.

Photographs can be taken by hidden cameras. Even when done in public, the photographer can take the picture and first later notice that there was a sticker on someones badge that they didn't want to be photographed.

We've seen people think differently about photography just because it's now so easy to publish photographs to a huge audience compared to 10+ years ago.

So I still postulate that it's the wide publishment of pictures that is the problem, not the photograph being taken. If some privacy advocate thinks differently, I'd like to know the reasoning.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx