Re: Proposed Photography Policy

Hi Mary,

I agree with you that people are subject to routine surveillance. The primary difference here is:

1.. That doesn't come with the intrusive experience of having a camera pointed directly at you from close by, which some people find unpleasant.
2. It generally doesn't result in still pictures posted on the Internet, which some people dislike

You're certainly correct that there are some venues which require you to consent to photography, but, for the reasons you indicate, that's sort of a hostile practice. So, I do think there is real value in us making it possible for people to opt out of still photography.

I've seen a number of concerns about whether this is going to work. I think there are two questions here: First, whether it will work for us to have a "do not photograph indicator" and instruct our official photographer to respect it. I think it's pretty obvious we can do that and much of this policy is devoted to documenting what exactly that will consist of. It's certainly reasonable to as how well this will work for photography by individuals. The best I can tell you is that this is actually a pretty common kind of policy, for instance:

Strange Loop: https://www.thestrangeloop.com/policies.html
OpenVis: http://www.openvisconf.com/code-of-conduct/#cfp-call
The Ada Initiative: https://adainitiative.org/2013/07/04/another-way-to-attract-women-to-conferences-photography-policies/
Mozfest: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/2492510/20195148/2bf62570-a74a-11e6-883a-86058c76cd4b.png

The reports I have heard from people who attend these kinds of events is that the policies work relatively well at achieving the objectives I outlined above.

-Ekr