Re: [Mtgvenue] [RTG-DIR] Rtgdir telechat review of draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-12

On 06/02/2018 03:28, Pete Resnick wrote:
On 5 Feb 2018, at 8:43, Stewart Bryant wrote:

Actually it is more than the facility itself, it is the venue and transport to the venue, and there are a range of disabilities beyond mobility that we need to take into account.

If you want a high-level requirement it is presumably something like "that there is no reasonable impediment to a participant with mobility or sensory disability travelling to and from the venue, obtaining suitable accommodation at the venue, or being able to fully participate in all aspects of the meeting"

That a pretty substantial change to a piece of text that took a great deal of back and forth on which to come to rough consensus. Perhaps Eliot could suggest some text to satisfy your concern that the requirement is for more than just the facility, without having to re-hash the whole issue.

Well we could be silent on the whole matter, but that would surely be contra to the basic ethos of the IETF and modern culture.

All I have proposed is that we consider the three core aspects of participation (travel, accommodation and participation in discussion), and consider enabling those with disabilities  more generally rather than focusing on wheelchair access issues.

However I am not an expert in this space. Perhaps this is something that we need to take professional advice on.

- Stewart