Re: [Recentattendees] BANGKOK SELECTED FOR IETF 103

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 2:05 PM, Ole Jacobsen <olejacobsen@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Feb 2018, Peter Yee wrote:
>
>> Central Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi Airport (the international airport)
>> is more like 35 minutes when traffic isn't bad.  Three hours would
>> be a horrific traffic jam.  IEEE 802 held a successful meeting in
>> Bangkok in 2015 and taxis were plentiful and easy.
>>
>> It's really not that adventurous of a destination unless you want to
>> make it one.  The IEEE 802 meeting was held at the Centara Grand
>> Hotel attached to the CentralWorld mall.  If you never left the
>> hotel and mall, you could almost imagine yourself in the US - lots
>> of familiar chain stores and brands in sparkling clean environment.
>> I ventured out and never once regretted it.  Bangkok is a wonderous
>> city to explore and is a fine destination for a meeting.
>>
>>               -Peter
>>

> Just to add to Peter's points:
>
> * The IEEE 802.11 Group is meeting at the same venue the week
>   following IETF 103, see:
>   http://www.ieee802.org/11/Meetings/Meeting_Plan.html
>
> * With respect to terror attacks, I'd consider London more dangerous
>   these days, not that your gov.uk site would tell you so.
>
> * With respect to political speech, criticism of the King and other
>   related matters, I think that probably falls into the category of
>   "outside the scope of normal IETF discourse," but it might be worth
>   checking this out before departing for London:
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-strangest-weird-laws-enforced-christopher-sargeant-sturgeon-armour-a7232586.htm
>
> .... I particularly love:  "No person shall, in the course of a
> business, import into England, potatoes which he knows, or has
> reasonable cause to suspect, are from Poland."
>
> You have been warned.

Tom Scott and Matt Gray (who always make me giggle like a maniac)
decided to do 10 illegal things in London -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGifTou5FE&t=6s

This included the infamous "handling a salmon in suspicious
circumstances", but, sadly, not the importation of Polish potatoes
(which had a good reason originally).

> Ole

idea in the first place.
of pants.