RE: [Recentattendees] BANGKOK SELECTED FOR IETF 103

On Fri, 2 Feb 2018, Peter Yee wrote:

> Central Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi Airport (the international airport)
> is more like 35 minutes when traffic isn't bad.  Three hours would
> be a horrific traffic jam.  IEEE 802 held a successful meeting in
> Bangkok in 2015 and taxis were plentiful and easy.
>
> It's really not that adventurous of a destination unless you want to
> make it one.  The IEEE 802 meeting was held at the Centara Grand
> Hotel attached to the CentralWorld mall.  If you never left the
> hotel and mall, you could almost imagine yourself in the US - lots
> of familiar chain stores and brands in sparkling clean environment.
> I ventured out and never once regretted it.  Bangkok is a wonderous
> city to explore and is a fine destination for a meeting.
>
> 		-Peter

Just to add to Peter's points:

* The IEEE 802.11 Group is meeting at the same venue the week
  following IETF 103, see:
  http://www.ieee802.org/11/Meetings/Meeting_Plan.html

* With respect to terror attacks, I'd consider London more dangerous
  these days, not that your gov.uk site would tell you so.

* With respect to political speech, criticism of the King and other
  related matters, I think that probably falls into the category of
  "outside the scope of normal IETF discourse," but it might be worth
  checking this out before departing for London:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-strangest-weird-laws-enforced-christopher-sargeant-sturgeon-armour-a7232586.htm

.... I particularly love:  "No person shall, in the course of a
business, import into England, potatoes which he knows, or has
reasonable cause to suspect, are from Poland."

You have been warned.

Ole