Comments on draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-12

Hello,

I read draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-12 as there were a few messages on ietf@xxxxxxxx about Bangkok as a venue.

In Section 1, there is the following: "As always, the community is encouraged to provide direct feedback to the Nominations Committee (NOMCOM), Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG), and IAB regarding the discharge of the IETF Administrative Oversight Committee's performance". Is the IESG and IAB the supervising bodies of the IAOC?

In Section 2.1, which is about "IETF values", there is the following: "We meet in different locations globally, in order to spread the difficulty and cost of travel among active participants". From what I recall, venue selection used to be based on attendance [1] as there weren't any statistics about participation. Using "attendees" and "participants" interchangeably may mislead the reader. I looked up the word "globally" and its meaning was as follows: "in a way that relates to the whole world". According to the information published by the IETF, 99% of IETF meetings were held in the Northern Hemisphere. Is "globally" used in that sentence to promote a cause or a point of view?

Under "Economics", there is the following: "Meeting attendees participate as individuals". Most of the RFCs has the author listed as being from a company. Most of the IPR disclosures are from companies. Does attendee participation as individuals mean that the IPR disclosed during that participation "belongs" to the individual instead of the employer?

Section 3.2 states that "criteria in this subsection are not mandatory". Is the "MUST" in that subsection mandatory?

As a nit, there is a typo for "Considerations" in Section 3.3.

In Section 4.1, there is the following: "Participants have a responsibility to express their views about venues early and often, by responding to surveys ..." Why should a remote participant be concerned about venue selection? Based on my experience, the time difference was sometimes inconvenient.

In Section 4.2, there is the following: "This means that the IESG sets high level policies related to, among other things, meeting venues. The IETF Chair, among other things, relays these IESG-determined policies to the IAOC". Why isn't this draft updating RFC 4071 given that it changes the "grant of authority"? Why is the IESG using this intended BCP to specify that it sets high level policies?

How are "interested members of the community" chosen (Section 4.7)?

What is the definition of regions (Section 5.1 (a))?  Who defines the regions?

In Section 5.4, there is the following: "At this time, the announcement MUST include any notable economic, health, or safety risks or references thereto". The latest announcement [2] does not contain any information about notable risks. I did a quick search and found a travel advisory stating that "there is some risk to your security". It does not make sense to have a "MUST" if IASA cannot comply with it.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/99/materials/slides-99-ietf-sessb-iesgietf-chair-slides
2. https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg17400.html