Re: More guidance and directions for new drafts/comers (was Re: When the IETF can discuss drafts seriously?

On 27/01/2018 00:55, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 1/26/2018 6:43 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
>> IETF does try to be open to new ideas.  But people bring new ideas to
>> IETF all the time, and statistically speaking, most of those new ideas
>> are bad ideas because they are coming from people without enough
>> exposure to enough  experience that would let them realize that they
>> are bad ideas.   So experienced IETF participants tend to reject bad
>> or dubious ideas in ways that may seem impolite or rude.   This is
>> (mostly) not because they are rude people overall, it is simply
>> because there are so many bad ideas presented here, as a consequence
>> of IETF's openness.
> Hi Keith,
>
> As another perspective from a lurker trying to help, there is also the
> daunting task of having to come up to speed on certain things that are
> collective knowledge of decades.  I've got one idea I've been honing
> that was actually mentioned obliquely literally 20+ years ago.
>
> I appreciated the guidance I was given of "have you seen this RFC"
> rather than something more harsh.  It helped me find a direction where
> my idea might be added and a working group where it can be best debated.

That's how things should work, indeed. As the Internet becomes ever bigger
and more complex, it is now a daunting task to design any change or
addition, even a relatively minor one. It's far beyond the capacity of
any individual working alone. The great thing about the IETF is that it
allows individuals to work with others, across organizational and national
boundaries.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter