Re: [IPsec] WG Last Call comments on draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018, Tero Kivinen wrote:

[ added ietf@xxxxxxxx to get a general discussion on this, as it seems
 this is a procedural issue not specific to the WG ]

execsum: I followed RFC 7120 to get an Early Code Point, and there is
confusion about the process between me, the chairs and the epxert.

I have not seen any request come from IANA to me as an expert. WG
chairs do not assign code points, IANA does that, and they will only
start the process when such request is submitted to them. This will
automatically happen during the RFC publication process. You can also
submit the request to the IANA at any time, as this is Expert review
registry...

So make the request through the IANA and then it will come to me (and
got tickets assigned which will send me reminders if I do not act on
it quickly enough) and then you can get the number allocated.

I followed https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7120#section-3

   The process for requesting and obtaining early allocation of code
   points is as follows:

   1.  The authors (editors) of the document submit a request for early
       allocation to the Working Group chairs, specifying which code
       points require early allocation and to which document they should
       be assigned.

   2. [wg chairs do stuff]

Nowhere does it link to or mention a page at IANA where to do this.
Nowhere does it state I should not contact the WG chairs.

Now, there is a strangeness in section 2:

The following conditions must hold before a request for early
   allocation of code points will be considered by IANA:

   a.  The code points must be from a space designated as "RFC
       Required", "IETF Review", or "Standards Action".  Additionally,
       requests for early assignment of code points from a
       "Specification Required" registry are allowed if the
       specification will be published as an RFC.

I don't understand why "Expert review" is not listed here. Is it by
design or an error in RFC 7120 ?

Additionally, the document does not point to any other instructions
for the process in the case of Expert Review. Who to contact where?

Paul