Re: [IPsec] WG Last Call comments on draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns

Paul Wouters writes:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018, Tero Kivinen wrote:
>
> [ added ietf@xxxxxxxx to get a general discussion on this, as it seems
>   this is a procedural issue not specific to the WG ]

You are trying to follow wrong procedure. There is NO early
allocations for expert review registries. There are only normal
allocations for expert review registries, and those can be done at any
time. The expert (and registry) might then have other requirements
before doing allocation, but as such all allocations are normal
allocations.

> execsum: I followed RFC 7120 to get an Early Code Point, and there is
> confusion about the process between me, the chairs and the epxert.

RFC7120 does not apply here. From introduction:

   This memo addresses the early allocation of code points so that
   reservations are made in the IANA registries before the publication
   of an RFC. The early allocation mechanisms are applied only to
   spaces whose allocation policy is "Specification Required" (where
   an RFC is used as the stable reference), "RFC Required", "IETF
   Review", or "Standards Action". For an explanation of these
   allocation policies, see [RFC5226].

> I followed https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7120#section-3

<wrong procedure removed>

> Nowhere does it link to or mention a page at IANA where to do this.
> Nowhere does it state I should not contact the WG chairs.

That would be true for procedure following RFC7120, but as your
request is not for registries specified in RFC7120 you should not even
try to follow those rules.

> Now, there is a strangeness in section 2:
>
> The following conditions must hold before a request for early
>     allocation of code points will be considered by IANA:
>
>     a.  The code points must be from a space designated as "RFC
>         Required", "IETF Review", or "Standards Action".  Additionally,
>         requests for early assignment of code points from a
>         "Specification Required" registry are allowed if the
>         specification will be published as an RFC.
>
> I don't understand why "Expert review" is not listed here. Is it by
> design or an error in RFC 7120 ?

By design.

Expert review assignments can be done at any time and expert will
decide whether those are done or not (but might need to follow rules
set when registry was created too).

It would be possible to get expert to assign you number even before
there is internet draft, so there is no need for "Early allocations".
When you are trying to allocate things earlier than you normally
could, i.e., before the RFC is published for "RFC required" etc, then
you need to get approval for that "Early allocation", but not for
registries where you can do allocations at any time.

> Additionally, the document does not point to any other instructions
> for the process in the case of Expert Review. Who to contact where?

Go to the iana.org web page and click "Apply for assignment" in the
protocol assignments part, and then select "all other protocol
registries" from there and fill in the form.

This will mean that there will be IANA ticket created for that, and
they will then contact the expert to check the request and depending
on expert's answer they will do the allocaton or not.
--
kivinen@xxxxxx