Re: Reporter re: Technical solution for robust interconnection if Russia & BRICs set own root?

Is it about alternative root management, or is it something else? For
example, in the case of the Russian Federation, one recurring theme is
that they don't want the US government to be able to disconnect Russia
from the Internet. On one hand, it is a political problem. But on the
other hand, it is also a technical problem. Can we design some kind of
redundant system so that even if ICANN wanted to, they could not replace
the ownership of a national domain like .RU without explicit agreement
of the corresponding government?

And by the way, I did not come up with this question by myself -- Steve
Crocker did, during is final address as departing ICANN chairman.

-- Christian Huitema