Re: Reporter re: Technical solution for robust interconnection if Russia & BRICs set own root?

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 12:08:56PM -0500,
 Dave Burstein <daveb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 146 lines which said:

> What technical measures will be needed for "robust interconnection"
> if Russia and the BRICS create their own root? ​ Vladimir Putin is
> creating an alternate root <http://bit.ly/RussiaDNS>, with support
> from India and China. <http://bit.ly/Bricssi>

I've seen this announcement repeated in several places, always without
fact-checking. So, first thing: this is a Russia-only announcement. No
BRICS country every supported publically this project. There is *zero*
"support from India and China".

Even for Russia itself, it is not the first time there is such
claims. Russia *can* create a DNS root but I'm not sure they *will*.

> Censorship is a real issue but my question here is technical.  How
> could we make that work, if everyone is acting in good faith?

Basically, you cannot. Let's ask simple questions: who will manage
.home (a real example since .home, not delegated in the ICANN root, is
delegated to different persons in different alternative roots)?

* if there is a body to arbitrate between the competing roots, then
this body is the root. May be it will be better than ICANN (it's not
too difficult) and may be not.

* if there is none, an URL <http://something.home/> will go to different
Web sites depending on the root your resolver use.

I've seen a lot of hand-waving how how a rootless system may work, but
never a detailed technical analysis, covering all the cases, specially
the inconvenient ones (such as .home).

Same issues for alternative (non-DNS) naming systems: most sweep the
problem of consistency under the carpet. (GNUnet is one of the few who
honestly declare that they don't try to have unique names.)