Re: Reporter re: Technical solution for robust interconnection if Russia & BRICs set own root?

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 10:04:30AM +0400,
 Amreesh Phokeer <amreesh.phokeer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 77 lines which said:

> There have been some attempts:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenNIC
> http://www.open-root.eu/?lang=en

The two are very different. OpenNIC is real. You may like its
policies, or its operational quality, or you may dislike them, but it
is a real system, with real users.

Open Root is completely void. You'll notice on their Web page that they
don't even indicate the IP addresses of their root name servers
(because they have none), something that every alternative root
advertise proudly (see OpenNIC home page, for instance).

If you know DNS, Open Root texts will probably amuse you
<http://www.open-root.eu/about-open-root/open-roots/>. One of the best
sentences: "However Google (and Chrome) use their own root (copy of
the ICANN root); its IP address is 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.6.6."

> And also some blockchain-based alternatives:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namecoin
> https://blockstack.org/

I think there are much more people who mention Namecoin that people
who actually use it. I'm one of them (d/bortzmeyer, alias
bortzmeyer.bit if you use a DNS gateway such as OpenNIC). There are
three points to note with Namecoin:

* it works fine
* it is policyless, by construction. Pure FCFS. If someone wants to
 register a name, you can do nothing. I let you decide if it is a bug
 or a feature
* the security of your domain entirely depends on your ability to
 properly manage your private key (backup it, but keep it private). As
 the Bitcoin users discovered, this is not easy. There are possible
 solutions but they are not deployed yet.

<https://www.centr.org/library/library/centr-event/rd6-bortzmeyer-namecoin-20140604.html>
(a bit old but still mostly true)