Re: Reporter re: Technical solution for robust interconnection if Russia & BRICs set own root?

Hi Dave,

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 9:08 PM, Dave Burstein <daveb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm on the U.S. State Department ITAC and know the U.S. position is that DNS must be controlled by ICANN (which does a decent job.)
Columbia Professor Eli Noam convinced me a "network of networks" was possible
​. With "robust interconnection" Noam and ICANN CEO Fadi Chehadi confirmed to me there was no technical reason the Chinese, Hebrews, Verizon or any other competent party couldn't set up independently. With "robust inteerconnection" the primary benefits of "The Internet" could be maintained. Fadi added the rub was how to ensure that robust interconnection.

Indeed. A truly decentralized internet is what we should aim for. But think of DNSSEC, things are very much centralized at the moment.

There have been some attempts:

And also some blockchain-based alternatives:

Regards,
--
Amreesh Phokeer