RE: How many rooms _actually_ available ? Re: IETF 101 - Registration and Hotel Reservations Open!

> >> It wouldn't help us get rooms for IETF-101, but it would help with IAOC
> oversight (who oversees the overseers?) to know how many rooms were in the
> block. For example, knowing that only 75 rooms were blocked out and that 74 of
> them are reserved for staff and I* might raise questions. This where some
> transparency would help.
> > Indeed.  Or at least it can’t hurt.
>
> As I understand it, you're saying that you suspect the problem is that the
> IAOC, which is all volunteers you know, is holding back unneeded rooms for
> the people who run the meetings?  If that's not what you mean, what do you
> mean?

I can't speak for Tim, but I don't mean anything of the sort.

All I mean is that I have only two data points and can't safely extrapolate:

1. The IAD, IAOC, and meetings committee are good people doing their best under tough circumstances with no malign intent.

2. Available venue rooms regularly (reliably?) get used up within one or two days of the announcement.

I like data, it's fun.

I think transparency is important, it protects people from being accused of thing they didn't do.

> PS: > (who oversees the overseers?)
>
> The meetings committee is always looking for new volunteers.

This is good to know, but was not clear from https://iaoc.ietf.org/index.html or https://iaoc.ietf.org/committees.html

Maybe the IAOC would like to update those pages and drop us a note about what the commitments would be, what skills are needed, and how to apply.

Cheers,
Adrian