Re: ISOC chapter and board compositon

On 26/11/2017 06:26, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Regarding 2:  When votes only go to organizational members, and
> "Platinum Members," with a weighted vote, include Comcast and
> NBCUniversal,

To be clear, the weighted voting applies only to the election of
the four Board members from the organizational members, i.e. at
most to one third of the Board. I don't see this as unduly susceptible
to vested interests.

> one gets a bit leery of ISOCs ability to give unbiased
> advise on things like Network Neutrality (excuse me, Common Carriage and
> Anti-Trust, to use regulatory language that has more of a clearly
> understood history & grounding).  One might also question the influence
> of groups like ICANN and ARIN, when IETF has a contractual relationship
> with them and sets standards to be implemented & managed (and enforced?)
> by them.  It's all just a bit to rife with conflict of interest.

Exactly why the Board is set up with the checks and balances of having
three separate constituencies. Do you have any evidence that actual
conflicts have arisen without being declared? (The Board members have to
sign a conflict of interest declaration, of course.)

   Brian