Re: letting IETF build on top of Open Source technology

So, whats the right terminology here for at least the two classes
that i think are easy to destinguish:

a) In one case i have FOSS that implements a new protocol like rsync does,
   and interop means that you want two independent implementations support
   the protocol.

b) In another case, which i think are all your examples, you have some
   form of "service" which is providing some form of "API" and interop
   really means that only one implementation is required to show how
   it works with multiple clients of the service.

I also think that b) is easier to adopt because
- interop does not require you to find other implementations of the
  same protocol/service
- An API that MUST be used by a third party client is more naturally
  documented than a protocol that was meant to be used between multiple
  instances of a single FOSS software (typical a) case).

Cheers
    Toerless