Re: [lisp] [Ideas] WG Review: IDentity Enabled Networks (ideas)

On 10/11/2017 12:39 PM, Dino Farinacci wrote:
> Let me ask for your opinion Christian (or anyone else for that matter). If a device is assigned a private/public key-pair and the identifier for the device is a hash of the public-key, is the identifier private?
The proper question is, what are the privacy properties of the
identifier. And there, there are two big scenarios: casual observation,
and proof of ownership.

Casual observation is what happens when the identifier can be shown in
network traffic, logs, etc. There, the properties vary depending on how
the hash is constructed. If H = hash(public-key), then the identifier is
static, and the privacy properties are just the same as publishing the
public key -- which means, mostly terrible, as EKR said. On the other
hand, if H =
hash(public-key|something-that-changes-for-every-session-and-is-hard-to-predict),
then the properties are similar to privacy preserving IPv6 addresses.

Many of the scenarios seem to require proof-of-ownership, as in "proving
that the device can legitimately use the ID by demonstrating ownership
of the public key behind the ID". In that case, you are effectively
publishing the public key. If the public key is static and permanent,
that is a pretty strong identifier with terrible privacy properties. On
the other hand, if you can pick a new public key for every session, then
the privacy properties are reasonable.

-- Christian Huitema