Re: Feature equivalence [was: ..sunset4-ipv6..]

On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 05:04:42PM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> ???It is not the API itself so much as the abstract API that is the issue.
> What we need to do is to work out which interests we see as being things we
> want the application programmer to care about and which things we want them
> to NOT care about.

The abstract vs. concrete API distinction is well understood since IMHO more
than 10 years now. What is not understood IMHO is that any protocol stacks
have to be designed so that the folks interested in the functionality can
be the ones implementing them. That aspect is still mostly ignored.

OSs will implement some protocols quicky, and some slow or never. If you can
already see that problem upfront you simply need to define your protocol
accordingly. Eg: on top of UDP so it can be implemented by apps/middleware
developers. And i don't want to have some egytian pyramid architects come
with thousand year old statements that that is not architecturally clean.

Cheers
    Toerless