Re: Hand-off agreements, when work is brought into the IETF

I wonder how far people think hand-off agreement should be
pushed.  For example, there have been several cases of a
protocol being sorted out in what appeared to have been an ad
hoc organization or other group and then brought to the IETF as
an already finished and already deployed product with
willingness to transfer formal change control to the IETF but
significant, if informal, resistance to changes.  Do you think
we need formal handoff agreements for those cases?  I think
that, in general, we haven't gotten them and that those cases
outnumber the ones where we've had formal agreements and, in
some cases, baseline or prior work informational RFCs.

    john

--On Thursday, September 7, 2017 07:57 -0700 Dave Crocker