Re: Next steps in IETF list email archiving

> On Aug 24, 2017, at 8:22 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I think the problem is that many people would like to suck the archives back
> in bulk, and they see IMAP as too chatty.

I don't think that's a valid argument.  Once you authenticate and select your mailbox of interest, you're issuing a single FETCH command for each message you want, so it's no more overhead than FTP in that regard.  To mitigate the lock-step command RTTs, just run a few FETCH streams in parallel.

If I can find some spare time this weekend I'll see about putting together a simple downloader and run some timing tests.

--lyndon