Re: Next steps in IETF list email archiving

In article <20170731132508.GA22575@xxxxxxx> you write:
>One of the best approaches to ensure the long-term preservation of these
>archives is to (1) keep them in an open, standard, widely-supported
>format -- "mbox" is clearly the best choice

Er, not really.  See RFC 4155.  There are way too many not quite
compatible versions of mbox.  If I wanted a file format for a
multi-file archive, I'd probably use POSIX ustar which is an actual
standard.

On the other hand, I see that there are rsync-able archives in some
mbox variant, so that horse left the barn ages ago.  The archives are
kind of funky, e.g., the file dnsop/2001-01.mail contains messages
from March 1999 through January 2001, and there are empty files
1999-06.mail through 2000-12.mail.

R's,
John