Re: Next steps in IETF list email archiving

This is partially tangential, but:

One of the best approaches to ensure the long-term preservation of these
archives is to (1) keep them in an open, standard, widely-supported
format -- "mbox" is clearly the best choice and (2) make them trivially
easy to mirror.  This has the desirable effect of allowing who wishes
to maintain their own copy and/or to use the search engine of their
choice on it.  (In my case, I find "grepmail" to be highly useful for
searching mail archives: it's better than anything else I've tried,
and I've tried a lot of things.)

It also allows folks to access the archives when disconnected from the
'net or when they're on a slow/expensive connection.  The former is
more than merely a matter of convenience: in some working environments:
it's a requirement, e.g., in environments that are always physically
disconnected from the 'net.

So whatever presentation format is chosen, the original/raw mbox files
should be available for download via -- at least -- https and rsync.
Gzip'd tarballs of them should be regenerated nightly and also made
available -- on a per-mailing-list basis and globally.  (To make that
clear: the latter means that it should be possible to download a single
gzip'd tarball that contains all archives of all IETF mailing lists.
Not only is that useful in its own right, but it'd be an excellent
way to initialize a mirror that can be subsequently maintained via rsync.)

A back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that the complete archives of
all IETF mailing lists rendered as a gzip'd tarball would fit comfortably
on a 32G USB stick.

None of this is particularly hard to script and automate via cron: I've
set up similar things many times.  I'd be happy to do the work if nobody
else can spare the time.

---rsk