Re: big files of mail, was Next steps in IETF list email archiving

In article <67C32DB4-E5CF-4042-9F10-50C3AF072919@xxxxxxxxxx> you write:

>> On Aug 24, 2017, at 8:22 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I think the problem is that many people would like to suck the archives back
>> in bulk, and they see IMAP as too chatty.
>
>I don't think that's a valid argument.

We have mbox-ish archives available via wget and rsync, and have for
many years.  It is my impression that they are maintained
automatically and are not going away.  So if you want to do bulk
fetches via IMAP, that's fine, but anyone who wants to do it with
rsync will continue to do so.

I did, took a while but I got lots and lots of files of messages, and it
had the advantage of being a one-line command, no new programming needed.

R's,
John