Re: big files of mail, was Next steps in IETF list email archiving

> On Aug 24, 2017, at 7:10 PM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> We have mbox-ish archives available via wget and rsync, and have for
> many years.  It is my impression that they are maintained
> automatically and are not going away.  So if you want to do bulk
> fetches via IMAP, that's fine, but anyone who wants to do it with
> rsync will continue to do so.

I agree completely.  I'm just pointing out that there's no standard for the various "mailbox archive" formats.  E.g. mbox, MH, maildir.  IMAP provides a(n IETF) standard interface.  Maybe not the most efficient in this specific case, but beware of micro-optimization.

--lyndon