Re: In Search of a Revised Notewell

--On Thursday, August 10, 2017 08:09 +1200 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/08/2017 05:01, Mehmet Ersue wrote:
>> Without knowing the URL one can always download the current
>> version of Note Well slide from:
>>
>> WG Chair's Page / Meeting Tools /  Note Well (PPT
>> <https://www.ietf.org/wg/documents/note-well.ppt> )
>
> But https://www.ietf.org/wg/documents/note-well.odp is 404.
>
> If the Note Well referred to BCP78 and BCP79, we wouldn't have
> had this confusion.

Maybe, and maybe our "stable" references are not stable enough.
I would certainly prefer to go in that direction.   However, my
guess is that it would need to not only refer to them but to say
explicitly that it is the reader's responsibility to find the
most recent version and then provide a reference for where to
look that up.  But that is, again, a guess -- IANAL, and the
Note Well is not a random piece of general advice.  It is an
attempt to bind people to particular legal restrictions by
virtue of seeing or hearing about it (maybe with a few
exceptions like the registration procedure in which people are
required to read and then sign off before moving further).    I
gather that how effective it might be if challenged is a matter
of disagreement among lawyers and perhaps jurisdictions and I
continue to hope that whatever is there, how we use it, and how
precise it needs to be are subjects on which the IESG and IETF
Trust are getting good enough advice to be willing to bet the
effectiveness of the policies to which it points, even in edge
cases, on that advice.

    john