Re: Incremental Deployment of CLAT on the router for IETF Meetings

Because that is the “closer” thing we are going to get in the user and corporate networks in the next few years.

IETF has not used before IPv4-NAT, so yes, is less cool, but is more *real world* and if we want to make sure that users don’t get into troubles, we should get that dogfood.

By the way, I’m starting to think that before continuing this discussion, we should understand (and the NOC folks are probably the right ones to confirm) if we still believe that the main SSID should be a stable production network or open to trying things …

I asked a few emails ago, what is our target with any change in the main SSID, for example:
1) Try real world (real world has IPv4 behind NAT), using for example CLAT, so the WAN can be IPv6-only
2) Try IPv6-only in the LAN, which we know many things will fail if they use literal IPv4 addresses
3) Something else?
4) Marketing “hey we are the IETF, we use IPv6-only, everything works” which can never be true, because if anyone has an IPv4 only device or app, will not work … It is better marketing to make sure that CPEs and OS support CLAT so nothing gets broken?

Is the reason to report to app/developers what is broken? Who is going to report that?

Can we enforce them to sort it out? If the answer is not, then it makes sense to ensure that we have mechanisms such as CLAT to avoid users get broken things, right?

If we want to try broken apps, is the IETF the right network or we should look for app/developers conferences?

Regards,
Jordi