Re: Incremental Deployment of CLAT on the router for IETF Meetings

On 8/2/2017 1:48 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> In the Chicago (IETF 98), I’ve been allocated a /64 so I can run my own CLAT in my laptop (I was doing it either by means of a VM with OpenWRT or a VM with Ubuntu and Jool).
>
> It was working perfectly.
>
> Of course, I’ve tried that in other scenarios, including some thousands of CPEs in customer networks.

I have no doubt that a combination of IPv6 native and network provided
CLAT will work. It effectively provides devices with a dual stack
service, native IPv6 and natted IPv4. We know that dual stack works --
it has been the default service on the main IETF network for years. We
also know that natted IPv4 kind of works -- that's what most customers
have been getting for many years, and most applications have adapted by now.

But then, why deploy that on the main IETF network? IPv6 plus natted
IPv4 is definitely less cool than IPv6 plus native IPv4, which is what
the network has traditionally provided.

-- Christian Huitema

--
Christian Huitema