Re: RESENDING - Incremental Deployment of IPv6-only Wi-Fi for IETF Meetings

On 7/29/17 20:17, Tim Chown wrote:

> 2. Whether we fully understand how devices of various common OSes
> select an SSID on startup, without manual intervention.
>
> The line in Randy’s data that puzzled me was the 967 devices
> associating to the ietf-legacy99 SSID. I believe the SSID had the
> meeting number appended to avoid devices just re-associating to an
> ‘ietf-legacy’ SSID every meeting. By adding the number, one might
> hope users would have to manually select the SSID. But perhaps at
> least one major OS prefers this SSID because of its open property?

There's nothing paticularly odd about this.several of these operating
systems will both notify you opportunistically of available open
networks by default and make then visually distinctive. you then
condition a user population to select then becuase they are open, and
therefore don't require a cert, shared secret, username, password. and
you get a scenario where it's going to get selected between meetings.
unsurping since it's the low friction option.

We tested the steps associated with with associating with an open wifi
network on all the platforms we had available, and despite the
notification that security might be good idea, it is always the lowest
friction option.