Re: Revamp of the www.ietf.org website

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017, Ted Lemon wrote:

You are fortunate to have such good eyesight. For my eyes, the new fonts are a huge improvement. The fonts on the old IETF web site are legible, but really too small, and the information density is too high, so that it requires a close look to sort out what one needs from among the things one doesn't.

Yes, I have good eyesight. I set my default appearence that is comfortable for me. I expect all applications and web sites to follow that. If I had worse eye sight, I would set the default so the text was rendered in larger font size on my screen.

Screenshot from my screen:

http://imgur.com/a/iJCLV

This is with the CSS scaling turned off, so it's rendered with default font size. The old IETF website is approximately in between the font size of the "about mac" window text, and the MacOS menu text. The new beta.ietf.org web site is significantly larger in font size and row spacing compared to the other windows.

It's not the work of web site developers to cater for people with bad eyesight, it's the job of operating system developers to give people the possibility to set default settings that fit each and every one, and then it's up to the browser to give the user the default font size that user has chosen. If some web sites start to increase the web site "because there might be some people with bad eyesight out there who have chosen small font sizes in their OS", this is going to be a race with increasing font sizes in absurdum.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx