Re: Revamp of the www.ietf.org website

On Jul 26, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The new page follows the tragic becoming-common-everywhere of using font size that is way too big. In Chrome on MacOS the old page looks great, font size is perfect, lots of information.

You are fortunate to have such good eyesight.   For my eyes, the new fonts are a huge improvement.   The fonts on the old IETF web site are legible, but really too small, and the information density is too high, so that it requires a close look to sort out what one needs from among the things one doesn't.

The goal of a web page isn't to put as much information as possible on one page.   It's to communicate effectively.   I don't claim to be an expert on what it means to communicate effectively, but in fact looking at the main page, the only real problem I see is that the responsive design allows the main image to be too large, and this produces the "have to scroll" effect that people have complained about.   That image is way too big for the page.   It sort of works on a 1080p display, because there's room for all the content despite the huge image, but it would be better to reduce it to about half its presented height in all the other responsive sizes (no more than a quarter of the screen height).

On the other hand, the tools pulldown has the exact three things I am most interested in when I personally go to the IETF web site: a link to the datatracker, a link to the current meeting, and, well, okay, I never search the mailing list archive that way, but it would be great if that were swapped out for a link to the meeting agenda for the current meeting.