Re: Revamp of the www.ietf.org website

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017, Russ Housley wrote:

Please take a look. We will be tracking issues that need addressing at:

  https://github.com/ietf/www.ietf.org/issues

The new page follows the tragic becoming-common-everywhere of using font size that is way too big. In Chrome on MacOS the old page looks great, font size is perfect, lots of information.

The new one, I need to use my CSS plugin to bring it down to 75% or less before it even starts to become remotely useful.

If I go to for instance:

https://beta.ietf.org/about/who/

There is a useful "about" list of articles to the right. If I click on some of those, I get a similar page with the same list of articles, some other items in that list doesn't contain this.

Same thing at https://beta.ietf.org/standards/rfcs/

I also chime in with earlier comments about scrolling and lack of information. If the new IETF page is going to be this devoid of information collected in a single place, where is my "expert mode" button? The left list of things on the old web page was excellent.

The current page seems to be all about introducing new people to the IETF. This is great, but I know a lot of this already, and I want a good, dense, overview page of everything available.

If I go to https://beta.ietf.org/how/meetings/upcoming/99/ this seems to be close to what I need, but I just HATE the extra step of clicking on "Agendas and Meeting materials" to have a submeny float out (slowly) and then I have to click again. I don't like text moving around, especially not scrolling around, in its own little thingies.

Old work flow:

Go to http://ietf.org. Press meeting link. Press agenda (html). Boom, done.

New work flow:

Go to http://beta.ietf.org (wait noticably longer for page to load). Press tools. Watch popup. Press "IETF99 Prague". Wait. Scroll. Press "Agendas and Meeting materials". Watch animation. Press "Agenda (HTML)". Done.

So while the new web page looks nicer and probably is a lot less daunting to newcomers, it's a considerably worse tool to actually get to information you need.

So if this is going to become the new web page, can I please at least have a densely packed "expert mode" page with all the links densly packed, just like the old page. Please?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx