Re: If Muslims are blocked by the U.S., should the IETF respond?

--On Monday, January 30, 2017 12:14 -0500 Michael StJohns
<mstjohns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We are associated with two organizations that are, by charter,
> mostly outward facing: the IAB and the ISOC.  The latter
> organization is probably the right one to take point on
> statements of mostly political content related to issues that
> affect our mission.   I would like to suggest that we (the IAB
> and IESG and IETF Chair) request the ISOC draft a message
> along the lines of what the ACM and IACR and others have
> already written.  This would include such details as the
> affect on the IETF's meetings and the ISOC's outreach program
> and would ask them to incorporate suggestions from the IETF
> community on content (but leaving the wording to ISOC).  I'd
> also suggest they provide a signature page where IETF
> community members may endorse the ISOC message.

Concur.  I must say that, even without such formal requests, I
hope ISOC is working on such a statement and am somewhat
disappointed to have not seen it already.

To the degree possible without getting into our own version of
"alternate facts", I think it would be worthwhile to identify,
not only effects on IETF meetings but potential negative effects
on the Internet if we can't get our work done in a way that is
consistent with international consensus.

> I would further suggest that a faster but not perfect note is
> better than the alternative.

Yes.

best,
    john