Re: If Muslims are blocked by the U.S., should the IETF respond?

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 04:35:02PM -0600, Adam Roach wrote:
> I think this highlights a gap between mtgvenue (which is producing documents
> that will provide guidance to the IAOC on venue selection, typically years
> in advance of the actual meetings) and the practicalities about what happens
> if the facts on the ground change non-trivially in the interim.

The facts on the ground are undergoing non-trivial change even as this
discussion takes place.  Last night, several separate court rulings were
issued that impose stays/TROs on this executive order.  (One in Brooklyn, NY;
one in Alexandria, VA; one in Massachusetts; one in Seattle, WA.  There
may be more than I'm not aware of yet.)

There are likely to be more legal challenges.  And based on real-time
reports from airports, there is clearly, at his moment, a very serious
disconnect between what the executive order says, what the courts are
saying, and what's being done to people.

Note also that the executive order affects US-based people: if they leave
the country (for a meeting or otherwise) they may be barred from re-entry.
So it's not just US-based meetings that raise issues.

---rsk