Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

On 7/24/2015 6:58 AM, Richard Shockey wrote:
The cost problem is getting out of hand around
here, but the real causation is endless process delays.

I believe someone around here did an analysis of the allocation of calendar time, for various parts of the sequence to create a proposed standard.

I certainly agree that process overhead could be better and probably much better, but I hope no one is surprised to hear that the analysis showed that deliberations by the IESG, IETF Last Call, and even RFC Editor handling are usually a small fraction of the calendar budget.

Working groups often think nothing of taking years to develop something that probably could have been done in months, if the working group seriously thought the issue urgent and were willing to create and sustain serious focus on solving the issue that prompted creation of the effort.

I'll bet one could generate a number of legitimate examples amongst the current inventory of working groups, if one wanted to...

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking