Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

On 7/24/2015 5:40 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
> It would be interesting to try to estimate the cost of
> participants of developing an IETF Proposed Standard and then to
> compare that to various estimates of the cost to develop and
> submit a TLD application.

Many years ago, I did a back of the envelope calculation for the
aggregate cost of an easy and quick IETF standards effort and landed on
US$ 1M.

I'm sure it is a multiple of that now and that the larger efforts run
into aggregate costs that are 10 times as high.

Engineers are expensive. A group of many engineers is quite a bit more
expensive.  Engineers over many months are...

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking