Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

On 7/24/2015 12:15 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
>  So someone makes one of those
> applications, moves a name through the ICANN process, and then
> ICANN comes to the IETF and says "is it ok to approve and
> delegate that name".   I hesitate to think about what would
> happen if we said "no", but assume it would involve
> organizations trying to get their $300-$400K (each) back and
> lawyers.

On the other hand, that model nicely matches how we do standards
approval, in terms of requiring extended, up-front investment, with no
basis for determining likely approval...

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking