Re: ietf.org unaccessible for Tor users

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 06:59:07AM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> > About 90% of SMTP is spam.  SMTP from Tor nodes is so close to 100%
> > that I don't know anyone who accepts mail from them.
>
> cite, please.
>
> i accept mail from them.
>
> wild unsubstantiated assertions do not aid reasoned discussion.

Actually, John is spot-on with this one.  Comparison of statistics from
(a) a fair number of diverse production mail servers and (b) a large-ish
number of spamtraps over a period of many years does in fact show that
the percentage of spam from Tor nodes asymptotically approaches 100%.
(I have never bothered to rigorously analyze it because for my purposes
the difference between 98.94% and 99.31% is irrelevant.)

This of course is not equivalent to a statement that all of the SMTP
traffic from Tor nodes is spam.  There is some non-spam.  But for all
practical purposes, it's lost in the noise floor.

But to circle back around to where this started: whatever the percentage
is and however it fluctuates, it really doesn't matter to a web site that
speaks HTTP(S).

---rsk