Re: Cross-area review (was Meeting rotation)

On 24/12/2015 00:17, tom p. wrote:
> [...]

happens at that stage. Corrections - yes. Clarifications to remove ambiguity
- yes. But changes of the intent of the protocol, or changes in choices that
were a matter of taste or WG preference - no.

The IESG is also explicitly supposed to avoid changes for reasons of taste
or preference:
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html#stand-undisc

> then I see the I-Ds getting worse, certainly in terms of the coherence
> and consistency of the language, probably in terms of technical accuracy
> too.  Outside people suggest new text which makes sense within their
> mindset but may not in the context of what the WG has so far produced;
> and by this stage, the WG's energy may be waning, so something that may
> have been corrected in a -00 or -01 gets left in in the I-D-(RFC minus one).

Yes, that can happen, depending on the shepherd and authors. But it mainly
happens in the WG I believe, during the long grind to achieve a WG Last Call
with no dissenters.

> The best I-D, in some senses, is often the first to be produced, before
> adoption by a WG, but that almost always has to be changed and the
> longer that that goes on, commonly years, then the less coherent the I-D
> is.  I am thinking particularly of I-Ds that are too large to be held in
> one's mind all at once (which most are).

Sure. And that is where another point comes in: the running code point.
I watched the DNCP/HNCP sausage being made. Guess what? Those are two complex
documents but most of the later changes were in direct response to cross-area
review comments *and* comments from implementors. The most powerful response
to a review comment is one based on implementation experience.

    Brian