Re: Hotel situation

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Deen, Glenn (NBCUniversal)
<glenn.deen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> groups, and a lot of those other groups are playing with much bigger
> budgets.
>
> Spending more isn't necessarily the only option, and it would change the
> IETF.  Sure we could be more attractive, and get massive room blocks if we
> just spent a lot more money, but one of things I think that helps the IETF
> continue to be so successful, is that it's run as a pretty lean ship. It
> has let the IETF continue during tough years like 2008-2010 without making
> major changes.  People should look at the IAOC's presentation on the IETF
> budget, there is a lot of good info there. Compared to nearly every
> organization of it's size, the IETF is run very effectively on a lean
> budget, THAT"S A GOOD THING and something that I know Ray and IAOC work
> hard to maintain. Thank you BTW.    At the same time: We enjoy
> comparatively cheap registration fees compared to most other week long
> technical events. PLUS We get great cookies and even ice cream at breaks,
> and cokes at breakfast! PLUS We have solid sponsors who have treated us to
> great socials. PLUS BEST OF ALL: We get great meeting rooms and the best
> network and wifi anywhere.  So like many things, all could be fixed by
> spending more $$$$, but that's the easy way out, but not necessarily the
> best way.
>

> A couple of suggestions that may alleviate some of the frustrations:
>
> 1.  Can an weekly update count of block rooms and nights available be
> maintained, perhaps weekly on the IETF meeting site?  This would help
> people making reservations
>     know when they can skip trying a hotel because it is sold out.   I
> know this is hard to keep 100% current, because some people will book &
> then cancel, but any info is helpful.
>
> 2. Is it cost feasible to run some sort of shuttle between the venue and
> the overflow hotels?  It may not be, but it would help with the distance
> and safety concerns.
>
> 3. A longer term solution is to perhaps increase our bargaining power by
> building longer term relations with a few locations. I see that we do some
> of this already, perhaps formalizing it might be an option.
>
> So instead of spending more $$$, one solution might be to change from
> having such a wide variety of places we hold meetings to having a small
> set of locations, which have hotels which will give us enough space,
> including nearby overflow hotels, and good meeting space.  That way we
> could build multi-year relationships with individual venues and hotels.
>
> We could still do the 1:1:1 rotation, but with perhaps 2 or 3 favored
> locations in each of the 1:1:1 regions.  Having a couple in each region
> gives us a fall back if something isn't available and a better negotiating
> position.
>
> This might look like:   Vancouver/Japan/Honolulu/? for AP,
> Berlin/Paris/Prague/? for EU and San Diego/Vancouver/Boston/Philadelphia/?

+1 for these suggestions.
I think IEEE 802 does this type of business. Their policy is to keep
people in the same hotel, by providing registration fee discount up to
$300. That means going to the same places every two years or so.
That's the price you pay, there is no silver bullet.

Behcet