Re: Google threatens to break Gmail

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 12:26 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> --On Monday, October 26, 2015 16:54 +0100 Jelte Jansen
> <jelte.jansen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> From what I read on that page, that is essentially what
>>> mailman does (at
>> least as one of the options), but in a slightly less
>> confrontational way (i.e. not From: 'bad mail config at
>> sender', but simply From: 'replaced by list'). It even notes
>> that it breaks reply-to and search, though it certainly
>> doesn't make an exhaustive list of UI/client processing
>> problems.
>
> For better or worse, we've got a perfectly good, standard, way
> of doing that when the list is to be treated as the sender.
> That would be to ask developers of list software to use
> Resent-From.  It has its own set of issues and the various bits
> of software that try to tie keys and DNS records to mail
> originators would need to be upgraded to understand the
> semantics of "Resent-*" (and, btw, Sender) fields, but it would
> conform to the standards, not loose information, and not closely
> resemble a cheap hack.

Clearly some folk are going to have to change their behavior.

What is the more practical approach, to ask a small group of
technically literate people to modify their behavior in a modest
fashion or to demand updates to every mail client and server on the
Internet?

Of course the response might be different depending on whether the
objective is to produce a document or arrive at a deployed solution.